Sep 1, 2007

The Bartimaeus trilogy

An entertaining fantasy book at last. The last two harry potters were frankly dissapointing. As I said in my last post, the dijinni is really a great character. And fortunately, this book has none of the loose ends that have vexed me in Lord of the Rings. Most charcters have a complete ending though the ending actually is not as interesting as the journey itself. The tongue Bartimaeus has!!!!

Moreover, though the book carries parallels to current political move towards more obtrusive and spooking governments, it is not overwhelmed by it. The book thankfully never launches into a debate or a diatribe. Thats actually a reason why I hate Ayn rand books. You do not want to read 55 pages of some god forsaken speech(trust me, its very boring. In spite of claims by its fans of great philosophical insights, I stongly urge you to never touch a Ayn Rand).

Anyways, the second and thrid part, the Golem's eye and Ptolemy gate were worth the money. The gamble has actually paid off. A depressing day before the birthday might just have rewarded me with a great experience.

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

jaja well...i only saw the movie and i believe that it`s not so bad...inside the industry of the cinema...