Jul 5, 2007

Namesake

Ganguli/Ganguly is the anglicized name for Gangopadhyay. Thats one thing I have learned today. Thats what happens when you read "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri during office hours. Thats the amount of work I do at office today. Do not know where this kind of behavior will result in. Every time my MD came to my unit, he has always found me playing spider solitare.

Coming to the book, its amazing. But the view point is from that of an immigrant who has moved out of India. There is some recognition and identification with the protagonist but there is an element missing. Its not a complete identification with the character. Yet to find a character with whom I can identify with. The kind of character who still lives in India but still faces a disconnect with the Indian on the road. One who despises corruption but will pay to fasten the process of passport issuance. One who wants APJ to continue as president but will never turn up at a election. Waiting for that book and its been a long wait if you ask me.

Anyways hoping to read the last book of the Harry Potter series soon and watch Die Hard 4.0.
And the English use Cheers a lot. Came from The Namesake and phone calls with a analyst in UK. Every conversation with her always ends with a Cheers. Would have suspected that she drinks a glass a wine after every conversation if I did not know better.

1 comment:

nagarjuna said...

hey dude, nice one there..abt the character u wud like to relate to..:)